Wednesday 14 September 2011

Jeffry Archer Only Time Will Tell

On the trading floor


I spent yesterday morning in the city at BGC's Annual Global Charity Day.  I was let loose on the trading floor on behalf of Headcase, a charity raising money for research into the causes, treatment and possible cure of cancerous brain tumours - a thoroughly worthwhile cause.  Many of my heroes were on the floor with me, including Sunil Gavaskar and Michael Holding.  I did one trade, for £6m Eurostock at 2.5% forward - and once I put the phone down, the broker told me he wasn't in any doubt that the Greeks would be returning to the Drachma within three months.  'Why?' I asked, to which he replied, 'They're not paying their taxes, they're not settling their bills, and when I was in Athens recently, the restaurants and shops would only take cash - that's all you need to know. It's the beginning of the end for Greece,' he added.  I asked who would follow, and he said both Portugal and Spain looked a little ropey, but might survive.  However, if Greece went down, anything could happen in the future. 
Although I'm aware it's 'bank-knocking time', this is an opportunity to congratulate BGC on the amazing work they do for so many deserving charities.
                   Book Title:Only The Time Will Tell
Book Description:
        The epic tale of Harry Clifton’s life begins in 1920, with the chilling words, ‘I was told my father was killed in the war.’ But it will be another twenty years before Harry discovers how his father really died, which will only lead him to question who was his father?
Is he the son of Arthur Clifton, a stevedore who worked in Bristol docks, or the first born son of a scion of West Country society, whose family owns the Barrington Shipping Line?
Only Time Will Tell covers the years from 1920 to 1940, and includes a cast of memorable characters that The Times has compared to The Forsyte Saga. Volume one takes us from the ravages of the Great War to the outbreak of the Second World War, when Harry must decide whether to take up a place at Oxford, or join the navy and go to war with Hitler’s Germany.
You will be taken on a journey that you won’t want to end, but when you turn the last page of this unforgettable yarn, you will be faced with a dilemma that neither you, nor Harry Clifton, could have anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear all , leave Ur comments,..